Home is where your heart is

Home is where your heart is

Monday, November 21, 2011

Books

I am grateful for books.  I love books.  I think my soul is written in words.  Some people have a soul made of music, or art, or maybe car engines?  But my soul is written in words.  I have such a passion for words and books.  A good book does more then tell a story, it conveys emotion, teaches, inspires, makes you think, a good book can transport you to another world.
One of my very favorite books is 3rd Nephi in the book of Mormon.  It tells of the ministry of Christ in the Americas.  I love it because it is a story full of love. When He teaches the people, He prays with them, weeps with them, heals them, and blesses the little children.  They came to Him one by one, that tells me He knew them each by name and loved them.
Another book that I really love is "Little Women" by Luisa My Alcott.  I love this book because it it so real to me.  The characters seem to be real people with real problems and real heart aches.  And yet the book is so full of goodness, the characters want to be good and they work so hard to become so.  I love that the struggle to become good doe not happen over night, it takes time and a lot of hard work.  They make mistakes and they learn.  I love Jo.  If I had to choose a literary character to represent me it would be Jo.  I can relate to her in so many ways.  He love of books and words, her love of "Boyish play" her vanity about her hair, her dislike of dressing up and being formal, her love of boys and desire to open a boys home, and her anger.  Anger was her bosom enemy and it is mine as well.  I love reading of Jo's struggle to bridle her anger and her journey to save boys.
I love to lose myself in a good fantasy like "Fable Haven"  Or laugh at a funny series like "Alcatraz vs. the Evil Librarians."  I read a book and I become what I read, I laugh with the characters, I cried when Beth and Charlie died, I even cried when Mary died.  I am on the edge of my seat when Seth and Kendra battle demons and dragons.  I get an eerie feeling when Meg and Charles Wallace go through the tesseract to the town where everything is the same.  I learn right along the apostles as I hear the teaching of Jesus.  I get to touch his hands and feet and see the angels ministering to the children in America.  And I am filled with love when I read about Richard learning what the first gift of Christmas is.
Books- words, learning, laughing, crying, thrills, love.  I am very grateful for books.

No comments:

Post a Comment