Home is where your heart is

Home is where your heart is

Thursday, August 25, 2011

Super heros

I read an article today about mom's who get depressed because they try to be super mom. The people who did the study suggest that moms stop trying to be super mom. I disagree for more then one reason. First, I think that as people, and especially as mothers, we need to constantly try to become better. I do not suggest stressing yourself out to have a perfectly clean house, gourmet meals, and happy perfect kids. But there is always something that I can to better. Today I baked cookies, but it was a new recipe and very time sensitive. My kids wanted me, but I couldn't play with them lest I ruin the cookies. It was stressful and I become impatient. Tomorrow I can be more patient and I think I will have then help me with the baking and cooking.
The second reason I disagree is because of my definition of a super mom. Super mom does not have a perfect house, her meals are not always healthy super meals, and sometimes her kids misbehave and are dirty. They even eat Popsicles and candy on occasion. But super mom's kids are happy. They know she loves them and she spends time with them. Super mom listens to her kids, she heals boo boos with a kiss, solves life's problems with a hug and kind word, and teaches her children what is most important. Love, respect, manners, and what is most important.
I have stopped cleaning to dance with my son, I have closed my eyes to the growing puddle on the floor to let my 2 year old learn to wash dishes. I have let 5 more minutes turn into 1 hour and a half at the park, one more chapter became 6. Snuggles in the morning turn into wrestling matches and tickle time. Weeds become flowers, and finger prints on a paper are masterpieces.
Being super mom isn't about the house or the meals, it isn't about your child being in honors or team captain. Being Super mom means love, it means children that feel important. It means memories and time.
Tell me how you, your wife, or your mom are super heroes.

1 comment: