Home is where your heart is

Home is where your heart is

Monday, July 18, 2011

Glen's birthday

So I realize, now that it is about a month later, that I never wrote anything about Glen's birthday. Glen turned 3 last month. This is a picture of him with his gift. He wanted a Giddy'up and Go Horse so badly and I found one on a great deal so I bought it. The whole family bought it actually. It cost so much that everyone in the family went in on the gift together and for days he was in love. He didn't want to play with anything else. He would put a blanket over the horse at night, he named it Black Beauty and it was his "Favorite horse, the best horse ever!" And then it happened, it got old. It has been less then a month and already the horse is no longer the best toy, he has gone back to his old favorites. It's discouraging really to see a toy I tried so hard to find and spent so much money on lose his interest so fast. But do you know what is encouraging? The pillow I made for him months ago, my first, and therefor not my best, pillow, is one of his favorite things ever. He has to sleep with it every night, he brings it with him when he sleeps in my bed, it even has a place of honor on his bed. He smooths it out and when he lets someone else use it he is showing a lot of love.
So what's the moral to this story? It's not the price, it's the love. I made that pillow out of lover for him. I made it knowing he would love it and hoping that it would be more then *just* a pillow to him. I could argue that I searched for the horse and spent the money out of love, but it's different. It's the difference between the Horse Blanket I bought for him and the horse blanket I made for him. I made it and perhaps to him it's like part of me, it's like having me with him. I know that the blankets that are the most special to me are the ones people I love made for me. They mean more to me then the shirt I was given, even if it did come from the mall. There is just something about making something for some one, putting a little extra love and thought into it that makes it just that much more special.
Wow, now that I am done with my rambling deep thoughts, happy birthday to my sweet guy. Every day he amazes me. Let me tell you some of the amazing things he does.
  • When he is angry he walks away and put himself in time out (most of the time) pretty amazing for a 3 year old if you ask me.
  • He talks like a 6 year old
  • He has started to read words (his first word was horse, surprised?)
  • He loves to bake and play with horses
  • He shares with and helps take care of his brother
  • He has recently begun to love baseball again.
  • He like to sweep, vacuum, and do dishes. (I sure hope that one sticks around)
  • He has a great imagination, you should hear some of the stories he tells.
  • He is polite, the first thing he does when he gets food is ask who made it ans then thanks them.
  • He gives great hugs and says "I love you so much, you mean so much to me." It just melts my heart.
Glen is very special to me in his own way. Each of my boys have their own pace in my heart and Glen's is different then Benjamin's. He is my brave, sweet, compassionate, angel, and I love him so much!

No comments:

Post a Comment