Home is where your heart is

Home is where your heart is

Wednesday, April 23, 2014

I will not sit

When John and I were newlyweds we were called to serve in the primary.  I was being given the rundown of children and when it came to a few I was told not to even worry about them, they never came.  Wait, what?  Forget about them because they didn't come?  No.  I would not be satisfied with that.  I remember telling John that night how upset I was that I had been told that.  "What would Christ have done?  He would never give up on us.  I won't give up either!"  I got one of the boys to come once, but there is no miraculous story to tell.
Here I am again, with a sincere desire to serve being told to enjoy the break, to serve as a mother.  I know people mean well, but where there is desire, where there is capacity, why not use it?  I want to serve, I can serve, why shouldn't I ask for opportunities?
I read this talk tonight (https://www.lds.org/general-conference/2014/04/the-joyful-burden-of-discipleship?lang=eng) and it only increased my desire, and determination to serve.  We are taught within the LDS church that we are the Lord's hands.  I feel like being a mother is being one hand, but serving in every way I can is being two hands.  I realize that I have opportunities to serve all a round me, as a mother, as a neighbor, and I don't need a calling to serve, but I want one. I will not be content to sit by and become complacent.  I NEED a calling.  Until I get to know the people here and the needs here, I do need a calling and I will ask for one.  I will badger for one, I will insist on one. ;)  I don't care if they tell me to empty the garbage each week, just give me something to do in this ward and I will do it joyfully and with gratitude. (Until I get tired of garbage duty) ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment