Home is where your heart is

Home is where your heart is

Tuesday, April 15, 2014

I get to serve!

 I am so excited!  I have just been given on apportunity to serve.  It's what I have been praying for, looking for, and hoping for.  It's just what I need to stop being such a baby about being here.  :)  I am so excited!!! Let me go backa bit.
Glen rides the bus and one of the rules is that a parent has to be there to drop off and pick up the kids.  On one of the first days I met a woman whos son is in kindergarten as well.  We didn't get much time to talk most of the week, but over the weekend we invited her son over to play and I went oer to her house after to talk with her.  Her name is Pia (ok, that's really just the "shortened for Ruth English version of her name)  She has been here for four months and moved here from India.  She lives very close and I think that the fact that we were both very far from home and all that is familiar to us made us instant friends.  Sometimes we have abit of a hard time understanding eachother, but we keep trying because we need eachother.  We are both lonely here and being together we are not so lonely.
Anyway, Last Saturday after I went to her house I told her if she is ever lonley come on over I am almost always home.  She did for the first time today and she stayed for about an hour before we walked to the bus stop together to get our boys.  While she was here she told me again how her son is struggling to learn the language and so he is struggling in school.  He is also struggling because in India kindergarten in just the ABC's, not phonics, reading and all the other stuff we get here.  I showed her the reading system I used to teach Glen to read and that I am using to teach Benjamin.  I offered to let her use the set, but she said that she would just teach him wrong because she would say it wrong.  I told her I would help her son with his homework if he came over after school each day and she said yes, that would help and would I also help him learn to read.  I said yes.
I am so happy for this opportunity to help her.  Her son is sucha sweetie, so full of life and eager to learn.  I love kids, and I love to teach, it's just perfect. So each day he will come over and we will work on homework and sight words together, then I will help him learn his letters and sounds and when he finsihes that I will help him with reading.  He and Glen can play together after homework and after school gets out I will have even more time to help.
I expected the first opportunity to serve would be in my new ward, but my neighbor has beat them to it and I will serve gladly wherever I can.  Hopefully this will help them save money hiring a tutor

1 comment: