Home is where your heart is

Home is where your heart is

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Pre-school debate

I have been thinking about pre-school lately. Glen, my oldest, is so very smart and he loves learning and reading. He has such a passion for life and learning that I want him to have great learning opportunities. I have asked around to friends, family, other mom's and teachers. There are so many opinions. (Please feel free to share your opinions one way or the other.)
Some say that there is no need for pre-school if you are a stay at home mom, you can teach your own kids. There is a large list of reasons not to send a child, money, worry over safety, having the child "leave home" early. Others have a huge list of reasons for sending a child to pre-school. Social interaction, coping skills, a great learning environment, it's fun, it helps kids get ahead start in school.
And so the debate is on. I know Glen would love it. So far he knows the alphabet and sounds, he can sight read a few words and is beginning to sound words out, he can almost count to 20, he cuts, follows instructions, and tries to write letters. I took a test for him that put him almost at the level kids need to be for kindergarten. So I would not send him for the learning necessarily, though I know he would learn a lot and love it. He does not have a lot of friends his age, but he is very kind and social. I am not worried about him going, though it will be sort of sad, I still think his joy at learning will make up for the hours I miss him.
If he went it would give me a little one on one time with Benjamin, time we don't often get. It would also give me a sort of break, some times I feel so burned out chasing after two toddlers. And here we are with the guilt. I can't help thinking that is I was a better mother I would not need to send him because I could teach him all he needs to know for school. If I was a better mother then I wouldn't feel so burned out. Part of me feels so guilty, almost like I am sending him away because I do not want him. I assure you that is not the case, I love my sweet angels beyond words, it's just my mommy guilt.
Please share your thoughts with me. Have you had success with pre-school, or do you think it's a bad idea?

1 comment:

  1. If you are feeling guilty about needing a break then we are all in trouble because every mother thinks that at some point. There are tones of reason why he should go and why he shouldn't go. That will defenitly have to be up to you and John on this one. You really need to check the prices first. For preschool it is pretty steep. Elijah only goes because he qualifies for a speech impediment and so I don't have to pay.

    ReplyDelete