Home is where your heart is

Home is where your heart is

Thursday, May 26, 2011

"Genderless" Child?


OK, so ya know that couple in Canada that wants to raise a "Genderless" child? Oh dear!
The first Presidency of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints issued this proclamation on the family in 1995. Here is what the Prophet and Apostles have to say.
"All human beings—male and female—are created in the image of God. Each is a beloved spirit son or daughter of heavenly parents, and, as such, each has a divine nature and destiny. Gender is an essential characteristic of individual premortal, mortal, and eternal identity and purpose."
If I may share my thoughts on this story... I have two boys. When they were born there were a lot of decisions to be made. One that my husband and I agreed on very strongly was that we wanted to avoid the world's view that boys and men are "Macho, don't cry, tough, do guy stuff." I wanted my boys to feel like it was ok to show emotion, to cry if they wanted to, to show affection and be sensitive. I did not want to limit the way they dresses, acted, or the toys they played with as long as they stayed within the proper bounds as we saw them by the gospel of Christ.
In the bible it says that boys don't wear girl cloths and girls don't wear boys clothes Dueteronomy 22:5.
I used to hate being a girl, I wanted to be a boy so I could do all the cool stuff like play football and fix things with tools. I wanted to be in scouts not stuck with the girls painting nails. But as I got older I started discovering the difference between men and women. God made us the way we are. He made us male and female and He gave us divine attributes to help us. Men, usually the providers of the family are strong, hard working, and focused. They are great at what they do. Women, normally the mommies at home, are nurturing, loving, and instinctive. These attributes are God given, important attributes. I would not trade being a woman for the world now. Being a woman allows me to have children, be a mother, and give my kids what they need to grow up to be strong, righteous, intelligent children of God. My husband also takes joy in his role as a man. He enjoys working hard to provide for us, wrestling with the kids, and protecting us. The attributes he has from God are important just like mine are and they compliment each other and help us to work together more effectively. God's plan is perfect, He made us the way we are and nothing in the world will change that. Because His plan is perfect we as His children are part of perfection.

No comments:

Post a Comment