Home is where your heart is

Home is where your heart is

Friday, May 6, 2016

Beautiful day



  One day John pointed out something he has noticed about my prayers.  He said every time I prayed I said "Thank you for this day" and asked if it was repetitive or sincere.  I replied very seriously that I was sincere.  "Even on days that you tell me are terrible?"  Yes, even terrible days are days I am thankful for.  Here is why: I learn something every day.  Yesterday was a pretty crummy day.  I spent the entire day getting ready for a party, cooking food and cleaning the house.  What I wanted to do though, was play with my kids and read with them and cuddle and wrestle.  I was grumpy and irritable, impatient and at times even unkind.  It was one of the worst days.  Glen said it was worth it to have a party, but I think he is the only one who thinks so.  Benjamin said it was so not worth it and Elizabeth, well, I think too often she gets less mommy time then the boys.  Anyway, at the end of the day as I prayed I did say thank you.  I said it was a terrible day, but I was grateful because I had learned that spending time with my kids is so much more important then having the perfect party, a super clean house, and themed snacks.  I bet they would be just as happy with a bowl of popcorn and a movie. 
Because of yesterday I wanted to spend extra time with my kids.  After school we went to the park together for a little bit until lunch.  While eating it started to rain and we all went out to enjoy the storm.  We danced and jumped in puddles, drew with chalk and ran from pelting hail.  Benjamin and Elizabeth were fascinated by the storm drain and Elizabeth gathered hail.  As I watched them play in the rain I could almost see them learning and absorbing information from their world.  It was wonderful to watch.


No comments:

Post a Comment