Home is where your heart is

Home is where your heart is

Monday, January 27, 2014

Tall tales

 I recently read somewhere that when little kids begin to lie it is because they are starting to use their imagination.  That intrigued me, and also made sense.  Very small children are very honest.  I generally frown upon lying, but occasionally a lie comes along that is so epic, it falls into the category of tall tale.  This is the story of one such lie.

Glen came home from school today and told me he had been taken out of class for testing.  I was excited because I had heard about this testing and I wanted to know what they had tested him on.  When I asked him what they tested him on he relied that he did not know so I tried a few more specific questions.  
 "Did they test you on math?"
"Yes."
"Did they test you on reading?"
"Yes."
"What did they have you read?"
"A book."
"What was it called?"
"I don't remember."
"What was it about?"
"Oh!  It was about a Penguin and a Polar bear.  It was a made up story.  So there was this Penguin and this Polar bear and they were friends.  One day they touched and they fused together.  Half penguin, half polar bear.  Then it was called a polarguin.  And then there was a bird and a lion and they touched and fused and they became a griffin.  I really liked the griffin."
"What about math?
"Oh they made it fun!  They gave me a graham cracker, but they said not to eat it yet.  Then they gave me a knife, it was sort of sharp, but not very sharp and I didn't cut myself and they told me to cut it right like this-"
"In half?"
"Yes!  Then they told me to cut it again into fourths, then again diagonally.  Then they said I could eat it.  And I was all really fun, but I made it all up."
"You made it all up?"
"Yes, everything I just told you I made up."
I was totally floored.  That boy totally had me going.  I really believed they had him reading that book and doing that math.  I still cannot believe that he just made that all up on the spot.
And that my friends, is Glen's tall tale.

1 comment: