Home is where your heart is

Home is where your heart is

Tuesday, January 7, 2014

A companion and helpmeet


Until recently I had no idea how much I rely on John.  Growing up I had a pretty messed up view of men and husbands.  I was pleasantly surprised to find that marriage was actually pretty great.  It helps finding such an awesome man to marry.  One of my messed up views is that you should never rely on  a man.  Let's just say that such a messed up life taught me not to trust or rely on anyone, but that is an entirely different story.  This story is not a tragedy, it is a romance.
We have been married 6 1/2 years next month.  We met April 16th, it was afternoon and he was wearing an emerald green shirt.  I smile to remember because of so many reasons.  When we were told about the new guy all the girls started calling dibs, did you know single girls do that?  Yeah.  Well, I didn't call, I kept quiet.  As he was leaving I said "Good bye Johnathan."  and he pointed his finger at me like a gun and said "It's just John,"that sounds decidedly unromantic, but the wink that followed made me blush.  Long story short, one week to the day I knew we were going to get married.
As the years and the children followed I fell deeper and deeper in love with this amazing man I had found.  Many people mistake love as being a giddy feeling, something that sweeps you off your feet.  I see love, true love, as being much different.  I am rarely giddy when John is around.  I feel safe, loved, happy, content, I can't really describe it.  It is not the short flight of a bird, but instead the steady drum of the waves on the shore, the beating of two hearts, the depth of the sea.
This separation has been immensely hard for both of us, but I am so very grateful for it.  I have realized that John means so much to me, he truly is my other half.  With him gone, it is like a piece o my heart is missing.  Sometimes I miss him so much it hurts.  I search for him knowing he isn't there, I wait for him knowing he won't come home tonight.  I have conversations with him in my head as I fall asleep because it is what I have always done.  I have realized that it is something rare and special to have someone you can talk to about anything.  When I do not get to talk to him, tell him everything about everything I feel tense, stressed, heavy, and sad.  After talking with him, even for 5 minutes I feel like a weight has been lifted from me.  He literally helps me carry my burdens, he is my companion, and we are yolked.
This sweet feeling I have, the one that makes me smile at the mere thought of him, is something I have come to deeply cherish.  I thank the Lord daily for bring a man into my life that I could love so truly and so deeply, and man who would love me as much in return, a man who I would come to rely on in many ways.  This is love, pure and unfeigned.

No comments:

Post a Comment