Home is where your heart is

Home is where your heart is

Tuesday, December 17, 2013

First Birthday

I cannot believe it has been a whole year since Elizabeth joined our family.  I can remember being in the hospital with her.  I enjoyed being there, having time just the two of us, knowing that when we got home just us would include 3 others.  I could not get enough of her.  I always wanted to be with her, to hold her, touch her.  Even after we got home and she had a hard time sleeping at night I loved it.  I loved holding her, sleeping next to her.  I could tell from the beginning that she was a very sweet happy girl and she has become the sweet, happy girl I knew she would be when she was born.
There is always that sadness to see my baby growing up, but I wouldn't stop it for the world.  She is so fun to play with!  She lets me read to her now, she LOVES to explore different textures and sounds.  She enjoys climbing and sitting on her brothers, and tickling their bellies.  Elizabeth has an amazing ability to pull Benjamin out of a bad mood.  She laughs at just about everything now, and is always smiling.  She loves to play with big Lego's and knock over block towers.  She has been walking for 2 months now, and when I catch her with something she shouldn't have she turns to look at me, gets an impish grin on her face and runs for it.  She is such an imp.  She is our princess, but she is an into everything, always busy, lots of trouble princess, and we love every minute of it!
The morning of her birthday came and I was trying to get the house clean after being sick for a few days.  I started on the dishes and Benjamin started crying, he had thrown up and was running a fever.  So I called all of the grandmas and honorary grandmas and canceled the birthday party.  I had already baked the cake and wrapped the presents so I decided we would have a quiet family party.  I left off the house cleaning to take care of Benjamin only to find out Elizabeth was sick too!  Happy birthday, huh?  We ended up having a lazy day and then after dinner called John in Virginia.  We got on the computer and we set up Elizabeth's high chair in front of the computer so daddy could see.  We gave her her presents and she actually tore the wrapping paper off!  She got some books from mom and Grammy as well as some Dulpo Lego's.  Then I brought out the cake.  She tore into that like there is no tomorrow.  She picked up this huge piece and just started shoving it in her mouth.  It was a lot of fun to watch, especially considering that Glen didn't want his cake because it was sticky and he hated being sticky, and Benjamin wasn't interested at all in cake on his birthday.  She was the first one of our kids to go at it and we all enjoyed watching her immensely.
Even though three of us were sick, over all it was a good day.  I am so grateful for my sweet, happy girl.  She brings us so much joy! I am also grateful for the technology that allowed us to share her birthday with her daddy, even though he is on the other side of the country.  Happy birthday to my smiley, book loving, imp of a princess.


No comments:

Post a Comment