Home is where your heart is

Home is where your heart is

Saturday, December 14, 2013

Fun food

I love doing fun stuff with food.  I think it makes eating yummy food even more fun when it looks cool.  Holidays are more fun too because we get to do all sorts of fun stuff with food.  We always have green eggs and Ham on Dr. Seuss' birthday, pot pie on Pi day, ghost pancakes on Halloween, Pink heart pancakes on Valentines day (you can do just about anything with pancakes. :)  This month we have tried a few new things out.  We arranged apple slices so they looked like a Christmas tree, next week we will make Santa bread as well.  Today we had snow man pancakes with bacon scarves and strawberry banana candy canes for breakfast.  Then for dinner we had turkey pot pie and I formed a fun little Christmas tree on top and tried to make it green.  The green did not work out as well as I had hoped, next time I'll dye the dough instead of brushing colored water over the top, but it worked well enough for my kids, and that is what really counts in my book.
I hope that my kids look forward to holidays and find them as fun as I do.  I wanted fun food to be a part of holidays, even the silly ones like Dr. Seuss day or Pi day because I think that little things can make ordinary days into a little party.  Little things like chocolate chip eyes in pancakes, or a Christmas tree on the pot pie.  Little things mean big magic for kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment