Home is where your heart is

Home is where your heart is

Friday, April 29, 2011

Why?

Why do people say hurtful things to others? I love the old saying "If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all." Today someone said something very hurtful to me. She told me that if I look down on people enough to want to help them then I should sell all my possessions and join the Peace Corps. Maybe she was trying to be helpful, but I have never met anyone that finds hurtful things helpful. Yes I want to help others, anyone who knows me knows I have a passion or service and humanitarian work. I love helping others, but I do not do it because I look down on them or think I am better then them, I do it because I love others. I do it because I look to Christ as my example and see that He spent His life is service to others, and He did it because He loves us.
As much as I would love to travel the world and dedicate my life to service through the Peace Corps or as a Missionary, right now that just isn't an option. I have children to raise, and they need me. I can help from here. I don't have a lot, but I can still give service, I can still love. When we have a little extra we try to figure out where there is the greatest need and give of what we have.
Next time you have something to say ask yourself; is it helpful? Is it needful? Is it kind? Is it non-judgmental? If it isn't kind, if it could hurt, don't say it. People respond much better to love then they do to harshness.

1 comment:

  1. Don't look at as if they are being hurtful. Just know they do not have the Love they need towards others that you have Ruth. You love people and that is all you need to know. That also means that person needs love to because she actually may not be receiving that type of love her self.

    ReplyDelete