Home is where your heart is

Home is where your heart is

Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Quitting Facebook


Oh, my poor, sad, neglected blog.  It's been nearly a year and, what a year it has been.
I have been contemplating this post for about a weeks now.  You see, I quite facebook.  I thought I'd go back to it, like I always do, but now...I'm not sure.  I think I'll post for the benefit of grandma and the few people who truly care what our busy little lives are like each day.  Did you notice I used the word few?  I have nearly 300 Facebook "friends" but only a few that I would consider true friends.  Family? well, they are just stuck with me.  But those few friends who have chosen to stick with me, despite my odd quirks, out of date sense of fashion (by about 150 years) and obsession with my kids and homeschooling, those friends that I'd call in a bind and know they would be there, those friends are few and far between, in real life or on Facebook.
Facebook is fun, convenient, and makes keeping in contact easy, don't get me wrong, there are some serious benefits.  Lately though, I have been starting to feel like Facebook kind of cheapens relationships.  It makes it so easy to stay in contact, while not really staying in contact at all.  We just assume people will tell us what is going on and so we don't take the time to ask them how they are doing.  And of course there is that silly unwritten rule that you can only talk about good stuff on social media, so do we really know what's going on?  How many of my 300 "friends" know that since moving back to Utah my anxiety and depression have been the worst I have had to deal with in a good 10-15 years?  How many of them know that I'm worried Benjamin might have a sensory processing disorder, or that Abigail has decided she will only go to sleep if John is holding her? (thank goodness it isn't me)  None of them, because I can't put that on social media, it's kind of taboo.
Since quitting Facebook I have noticed that it had become my little drug, my way of hiding.  When I felt upset, bored, tired, sad, or anxious I'd go to Facebook, trying to distract myself.  Even if it had only been 5 minutes, that is where I went.  I had stopped turning to the scriptures for comfort, I had stopped turning to the Lord or to real people.  I had stopped dealing with the issue and instead tried to hide form it.  Now I turn to the scriptures for comfort, or to my spouse or friends.  Now I get down and play with my kids or read to them when I am bored, or maybe I even do a load of dishes.  I didn't realize how much time I wasted on Facebook.  I lived for me next comment, the next like on my posts, as if the whole world cared about what we do each day.
Maybe some day I'll go back, but if I do it won't be to hide like it has always been in the past.  I'll put a picture of my kids up now and then, tell about my lasted brilliant homeschool idea and if I ever become humble, John will let you know.  :)  For now I am content to go back to my blog, so you'll still get pictures and information about our edge of your seat exciting life, but I'll get to write a little more about it.  Once a week fits my style more right now anyway, I have enjoyed my family far too much over the last week to risk giving that up.

2 comments:

  1. I love this! You are an amazing example to me. I love hearing about the day to day stuff, and am grateful that you feel more comfortable sharing how you are actually doing on the blog. It is a brave thing to do to share what is really going on and not just gloss over it. Keep it up Girl! -Mel Anderson

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel like I could have written this very post! I have a love/hate relationship with Facebook and social media in general. I've been on and off there over the last couple of years, but finally I let Glen be the keeper of my FB password, so that I couldn't mindlessly go to it anymore.

    I 100% agree with your statement that FB cheapens relationships. It makes people feel like they're caring by "liking" something, when really they don't know anything about you. I'm sorry to hear that you're struggling, but happy to hear that you're back to blogging again. I've always felt that I can be more real on my blog than on social media.

    I hope you're finding time to take of yourself! It's hard with a houseful of kids, especially when you're homeschooling. Hugs from Virginia!

    ReplyDelete