Home is where your heart is

Home is where your heart is

Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Bubbles

 Lately I have not been very good about taking time to be with my kids, doing what they want when they want it.  I'm not the type to give in to every little whim, but there is magic in giving a child what they want right when they ask for it.  Glen asks me to jump with him and I tell him to wait until I finish what I am writing down.  By the time I am done he doesn't want to jump anymore, I lost that moment.  See with my kids it's not that there are not plenty of special moments.  Almost every part of the day is a special moment as they discover something new, for me it's more about being a part of those moments.
Today we took Benjamin to get ice cream at Cold Stone.  There were a lot of cakes I wanted to look at to get decorating ideas, I'm still trying to perfect my ice cream cakes.  Anyway, as he sat there eating his ice cream he was learning something, discovering something.  It seems strange, but that ice cream with gummy bears and M&M's was magic to him.  I saw that.  I decided not to go investigate the cakes, I did not want to miss his magic moment. It would have happened if I had gotten up and left, but I would have missed it.
When is the last time going to the bathroom was a magical experience for you?  I know right?  I'm not crazy!  We went to City Creek as a family and Glen had to go to the bathroom.  There was a family bathroom so we went in there and Glen discovered automatically flushing toilets, automatic sinks and paper towel dispensers.  This is even stranger then ice cream, but for Glen it was a truly magical experience and I was there!  I saw the wonder in his eyes as he tried to figure out how the toilet flushed all on it's own and how the water turned on.  For kids, just about everything is a magical experience.
The whole point of this post, long in coming I know, but it's finally here!  The whole point of this post was to tell you about one of those moments today.  John wanted to take a nap and the kids wanted to play in the front so I took them out front with a book fully intending to sit ad read while they played.  But then we pulled out the bubbles.  Kids are drawn to bubbles!  Instead of burying my nose in a book I blew bubbles with the boys for a few minutes.  It was only a few minutes, and they spilled more then they blew, but I could see it in their eyes.  I could tell that this was my saying to them "I love you."  This was not just fun for them or relaxing for me, this was love.  Quality time isn't scheduled, it's something you just have to grab when you see it.  Most of the time I don't even realize how important it will be.  Like blowing bubbles, or snagging a hug as he runs by playing tag at the park, jumping up to kiss a boo boo.
I feel like I am rambling here, I guess I'm just feeling really sentimental.  I am so grateful for my sweet boys.  They are my world, no, they are the sun my world revolves around.  I am grateful for every hug, every kiss, and every magical moment that I hold on to.  I hope some day they can look back at the bubbles, the slip and slide, the reading parties, and the late night tickles and ignore all the mistakes I have made, all those things that make me feel like a bad mom.  I hope and pray that the bubbles are bigger then the mistakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment