Home is where your heart is

Home is where your heart is

Sunday, December 19, 2010

Benjamin's Miracle

Soy milk has saved my baby, literally.
Let me go back to the beginning. Benjamin was born with a milk allergy that first showed up when he was two months old. Before that he was really fussy and we didn't know why. Then for some reason he got a rash and for months we couldn't get rid of it. The Dr. said dry skin, but I knew it was something else. Finally the Dr. gave in and tested him for allergies "To humor me" as I told her. He came up with a list of allergies that in the end (months later) included milk, nuts, apples, and onions. I tried nursing but I gave it up after about 7 months. He was put on Alimentum formula by the Dr. He was doing ok, but not that well. At four months he got really sick. For weeks I could get him to eat little, and keep down even less. There were all sorts of blood tests, samples taken and no one could figure out what was wrong. Then one day he just stopped throwing up and kept food down. But he had lost a lot of weight. He went form being a chubby happy 4 month old that was in the 30% to a skinny lethargic 5 month old in the .01% or off the chart. I had to move him down a clothing and diaper size. I was worried.
But he gained weight again, agonizingly slowly, but he gained. After months of this we were still holding our breath as he was put on the scale, celebrating a few ounces gained or worrying over 1/2 pound lost. At one year he weighed the same as an average 5 month old and he was so skinny and it took a lot to get him to smile or play. Still he threw up a lot. Some times 4 times a day. The Dr. was ready to run more tests to figure out what was wrong. I had been praying for months to know what was wrong, I prayed for guidance to help my baby as he suffered. I had the impression to look at his formula. I found out it was milk based! When I talked to the Dr. she said that it didn't matter the milk protein was broken down, the nutritionist said the same thing. I asked about soy milk and was told it was only for kids with "really bad" milk allergies. After about a month of harping on the Dr to change his formula to no avail I did it myself. I bought a huge thing of soy formula and in November started feeding him that. When we went in for a flu shot about a month later Benjamin had gained 3 lbs. THREE POUNDS! We had celebrated a few ounces here and there, but now I cheered and breathed a sigh of relief. I knew the battle was over when he stopped throwing up, when he gained weight so fast and steady. I can see and feel the difference in just the last 1 1/2 months.
The Dr. diagnosed Benjamin with failure to thrive, but he was fighting, I can see that now. I wish I had listed to the spirit sooner and fought harder for soy milk. But he is chubby, happy, playful and smiley now. He has the energy to learn and play instead of just laying there in my arms. I am so grateful, I am moved to tears thinking of it. And as I held him today and felt his strength, laughed at his smiles and giggled that he laughed so much, I thank my Savior for giving him the strength to fight. I am grateful for Soy milk because it has saved his life and given me another chance with him. I do not know how long he could have held on, I don't want to think about it, he did, he is here, he is my baby and he is alive!!!

1 comment:

  1. Yay Benjamin! So glad he's doing well now. It's just more proof that "mother knows best," right?

    Michael had his 12-mo checkup last week, and our Dr. was concerned that his social development was too slow. Ha! Are we talking about the same kid?? Darren and I had a good laugh about that.

    ReplyDelete