Home is where your heart is

Home is where your heart is

Monday, January 10, 2011

Mother Daughter retreat

The last week of December all of the Hansen women, Mom Hansen, her three daughters and two daughters in law, went up to East Canyon Resort for a mother daughter retreat. At first I was a little worried about going and though I shouldn't, but i really wanted to. After praying about it I decided to go, I felt like it would be good for me, for my kids, and for my husband. Tuesday afternoon rolled around and my best efforts to prepare Glen for my going away seems to dissolve. He cried and hugged me and begged me not to go. Oh my heart nearly broke, if I had not already decided I was going no matter what, his tears would have kept me home.
But I went and I am so glad that I did. I had so much fun with my mom and sisters, it was relaxing, and I learned so much. I think the reason the Lord wanted me to go is so that I could learn some really important things.
I learned how to make scripture study more meaningful and developed a great desire to study the scriptures. I mean really study, not just scratch the surface. I want to truly understand the scriptures and the gospel. I have been blessed with a great desire for leaning and knowledge and I want to learn all that I can about the gospel.
Oddly enough I learned to appreciate, and even missed house work. I still dislike cleaning. It is frustrating to wash the same dishes, put away the same toys, wash, dry, fold the same laundry, and sweep up the same floor every single day. But even though I do not like to do it I know that it is important and I am beginning to find joy in my duties as a mother and wife. To use one of my favorite quotes from Song of the Magdalene by Donna Jo Napoli "I discovered spirituality in being diligent, in creating a home where Faith cold find a firm footing."
The most important thing I learned up at East Canyon was about motherhood. I have been told not to loose myself in being a mom, not to forget who I am. But being a mom IS who I am. Being a mother is part of my being, it is the core part of my being. Motherhood is eternal. I may not have time for some of the hobbies I like, like scrap booking or crocheting, and maybe I do not get to read as much as I like, but that is what I like, it is not what I love, nor who I am. I a ma mother, I will be a mother for time and all eternity. Some day when my kids are grown I will have tons of time to scrap book, crochet and read, probably more time then I want. But compared to being a mother that will be boring. I will still be a mom too, even when my kids are grown, and being mom will always come first.
I am so grateful for the time I spent up at East Canyon with my mom and sisters. I cherish the memories we made up there playing pool, building an 8 foot snow queen, watching movies 'til my brain shut down, eating more junk food then we should have, and laughing together. It was wonderful, I am already looking forward to next years trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment