Home is where your heart is

Home is where your heart is

Saturday, September 4, 2010

Triple layer waterfall cake

This cake sure was fun to make. Glen loves to bake with me and so we made it together. I measured out the ingredients (we made the cake from scratch) and he dumped them into the bowl. He even mixed with the mixer, his favorite part. The top two layers are funfetti and the bottom is chocolate. My favorite part was frosting the cake. This cake I did not have to worry about the frosting being smooth and looking perfect, I wanted texture and variation. I frosted the cake all in white and then dripped gel food coloring in random spots and used a knife to smear the frosting around. This made for a really cool look with the different shades. It also gave the frosting a kind of swirled look that i really liked. I used crushed Oreo cookies for the rocks near the pond edge and sides of the water fall. The flowers were made by my sister in law, she used gum past. The lilly pads are also frosting. I think next time I want the layers to be a little thicker.
My next cake? I want to try a lopsided one like this. I think it would be fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment