Home is where your heart is

Home is where your heart is

Thursday, March 12, 2009

Failures and Losers

Grrr.... I am so irritated with the school system and others like them right now. I love school, I love volunteering at the school, but I hate some of the things they are teaching children now. All this stuff about everyone being a winner and no one fails is a load of crud. (excuse my language, I'm pretty worked up right now ;)
I intend to tech Glen and my other children that yes in deed you may lose and you may fail because that is part of life, but it is also important to work really hard. Teaching children about failure and letting them fail is essential to living and learning.
Say Glen loves soccer, so he joins a team. At the end of every game each team gets a prize because they don't want any one to feel bad. How long will it last before he joins a real team and he loses, then he feels bad an doesn't know how to deal with it. I think it is messing kids up not to let them fail and to teach them there is a consistence. If you don't do your work you get an F that is the consequence for not doing your work, why sugar coat it? (because kids are addicted to sugar, that's why)

Ok, I'm done, seriously. And so you have a sweet tid bit after that laod of soap here is a cute picture of Glen. He really wanted to eat this stalk of celery, he didn't get to far, but he sure tried. great for teething, huh?

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree with you, why are we so afraid of 'offending' people and making them 'feel bad' when it really is a fact of life that has been dealt with my millions of our predecesors? (dont know if that is spelled right...)

    ReplyDelete