Home is where your heart is

Home is where your heart is

Saturday, October 20, 2012

Taking off the mask

Do you ever feel like your wearing a mask, like people expect you to be happy ALL the time?  I used to feel like that, I guess I still do sometimes.  Over the summer though, I learned something amazing!  I was asked to go to girls camp to interpret for a Deaf girl and I am so glad I did, because not only did I have tons of fun, but I learned so much!
What I have been thinking a lot about lately, today especially  is feelings.  I think there is a general idea that we always need to be happy and smiling.  Last week I was so tired, and so pregnancy sick that I was barely functioning.  Then I was given a 45 minute lecture, by a sweet well intentioned woman, about not smiling enough.  She told me that others will be more happy to serve me when I need it if I am smiling and that if I am frowning I can't see the Lord's hand in my life or feel his blessings.  Maybe she is right, I'm not sure.  I know that that day even though I was feeling so sick and so tired I still felt grateful for my family, my kids, my friends, the Gospel, my testimony, and my Savior.  And those are just the things I can remember from a week ago.
So here is my whole point in posting.  At this girls camp the Stake leaders had a class where they talked about Christ and all the feeling he had.  They used scriptural references and everything to show the girls that he felt sad, angry, and hurt at times.  They explained that because he was sinless and perfect in all he did those feelings were also perfect.  It's ok to feel sad, hurt, or angry, as long as we are still trying to become better people and using those feelings to help and not hurt.
I am so grateful for that lesson they taught.  I'm grateful to know that being sad is ok.  I don't want to feel like I have to always be smiling, to me that is a lie.  I do try to exert myself and be happy even when I don't feel like it, and I try to put a good face on things, but there are just times when life is hard and I am going to cry and be sad.  To me it's honest to show how I feel, to still be kind and act appropriately  but to still be able to show how I feel.  I don't know, maybe some people really are happy all the time, but I'm not so I am glad for the lesson I learned at girls camp.

No comments:

Post a Comment