Home is where your heart is

Home is where your heart is

Sunday, November 7, 2021

You are enough

 Last week I had a wonderful spiritual experience. I was worried, yet again, that I was not doing well enough teaching my children.  I was worried they weren't earning enough, they weren't moving fast enough, they didn't dig deep enough, their handwriting, spelling...you get the picture.  I feel inadequate so often, and when it just concerns me I can usually ignore it, but what if I'm totally messing up my kids!?  I was really stressing out about it so I knelt down to say a prayer and ask Heavenly Father what more I should be doing to prepare them well for their role as husband and father, and to fulfill their mission on Earth.  Instead of a laundry list of all the subjects I need to teach and all the areas I need to improve I immediately felt an overwhelming sense of peace!  Even before I finished asking my question I felt wrapped in His loving embrace.  Through a mixture of feelings, images, and something I can't quite describe I got this message.

Joseph Smith was considered uneducated, he only had a few years of formal schooling, yet he went on to change the world.  He continued his own education and even started a school, called the school of the prophets, where they learned politics, world events, science, languages, history, geography, and so many other things alongside scriptural learning and learning more about the priesthood.  
The Lord told me that Joseph's most important education was given to him by his mother, who taught him to love God and to follow Him.  He told me that the most important

 education I can give my kids is to know God.  If they know God all else will fall into place. I am doing everything I need to to do prepare them to fulfill their mission in life and to prepare them to lead, support, and protect their future families. They will continue learning all their life.
    I was so overcome with peace I was moved to tears.  I have never in my life felt so powerfully the Lord's love and acceptance of me.  Writing it all down does not, cannot, do justice to this powerful sacred experience. I hesitated to share it at first, but I know I am not the only one who feels inadequate and I'm not the only one who feels like I am not doing well enough homeschooling my kids.  I pray that my experience can help to bring peace to someone else who needs to feel peace.


No comments:

Post a Comment