Home is where your heart is

Home is where your heart is

Monday, September 17, 2018

A name!


Image result for sublime knowledge symbol
     Today is a big day.  It's momentous, monumental!  After years of searching and praying I have finally found the right name for our school.  It's huge!  No one is going to get as excited about this as I am, that's ok, not everyone is moved to tears by the sight of purple bush beans.  I'm special.  I can't tell you how much this means to me, but I am going to try.
     I live life joyfully, it is part of my purpose.  Purpose, there it is, that wonderful word.  I live my life with purpose.  I do everything 100%  it's who I choose to be.  I didn't plan to home school, but once I felt it was right I threw everything I had into it.  I wanted our school, our home, our family, to have a purpose.  I wanted that purpose wrapped up into a nice little name.  Something that could convey how passionate I am about learning and teaching, our values as a family, and our hopes for the future.  Nothing seemed right, every name I could think of fell short.  I mean how could I fit all of the passion burning inside of me into one little name?  Could it even be done?  I began to give up, just a little. Four years is such a long time to search and hope, but I never gave up completely.  It was there, in the back of my mind, this ever present need to find a name.
     This year I began to read the biography of  Maria Von Trapp and the Trapp family singers.  She too felt the importance of names and they named their home in Vermont.  They named it "Cor Unum"  It is Latin and it means something like one heart, it was the closest she could find to Zion.  That name stuck with me.  It wasn't quiet right, but I was getting there.  I was discovering something important and my search continued.  Still, for months "Cor Unum" sat heavy on my mind with no more progress.  Then last night it came to me, almost like a dream.  Aeternum.  Forever.
Image result for sublime knowledge symbol   I believe that our quest for knowledge is eternal.  We seek to become like God, an all-knowing being.  That denotes a lot of study and knowledge.  I continually work to create within the walls of my home a place of refuge, a Zion from the storm.  "Cor Unum Aeternum"  Zion Eternal.  It encompasses all that I strive for.  Unity, love, life long learning, and values that I cannot even put into words.  
     Once the name came to me so did the symbols.  
     Sublime knowledge.  Sublimate means to raise to a place of honor, I honor learning and study.  The sun raising above the book reminds me to use each day to learn and to grow, it reminds me that the Son approves of my school, my work, and our learning and growth.
Related image     The Celtic spiral.  This one has three, but I want 6.  Six spirals connected. They symbolize man's journey of growth and wisdom in this life and into the next.  I believe that whatever intelligence we gain in this life will go with us into the next. Doctrine and Covenants 130:18 The spirals are connected, as a family we are connected. Our journey in this life and in the next is connected inseparably.


I am so happy to have finally found a name for our school.  
Cor Unum Aeternum.  
It sounds cool too!



























No comments:

Post a Comment