Home is where your heart is

Home is where your heart is

Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Homeschooling

 Every day is an adventure here.  I never know what life will bring from one day to the next.  Some days have been so hard I'd like to crawl in a hole and live there forever, or run home crying to mom, other days I have been so happy that I never want to leave.  Today fits in the latter category.
Since before Glen started school I have wanted to home school.  In Utah I met with a lot of opposition from most people.  The only ones who liked the idea were my two friends who also wanted to home school.  After having a terrible kindergarten experience in Utah I was so ready to pull Glen out and homes school him, but I didn't know how nor did I feel capable when I had a baby, was pregnant and my husband was gone.  So poor Glen suffered the school, common core, and an impatient teacher who refused to see how intelligent he was.  After moving here his old school had so soured me that his new teacher totally floored me when she immediately saw how far ahead Glen was and was more then willing to work with him and get him work and books to challenge him.  I felt unbelievably lucky that Glen had such a great teacher.  Can you imagine how happy we were when we found that his first grade teacher was the same?  What in incredible school we had found.  I still wanted to home school him though, it just felt right. Finally I decided, as part of anew years resolution, that I wanted to home school by next school year.
I won't go into the details as to why, or how I'm doing it, that's for a latter post, I want to focus on the reaction of the people around me.  As I said earlier, in Utah the reaction was consistently negative, skeptical, or even hostile.  Here, I have not had a single negative reaction.  My neighbor found out and said it was great that I could do that, the school offered not a single negative comment.  and everyone I talked to showed support and shared resources and insight with me. It was great. Today we went to pick up Glen's school things and every teacher we met was friendly and enthusiastic to Glen and even to me.  Not that I'm pretending to like you because I should be nice, but real genuine kindness.  Better yet, they offered encouragement and support.  No one asked me if I was sure it was a good idea, or anything like that. They all said, you can do this, what a great hing your doing, we hope you come to visit we'll miss you Glen.  Amazing.
Every day is an adventure and today's adventure was a sunny day full of heroes and heroins.

1 comment:

  1. What a blessing to be surrounded by supportive people! Good luck on your new adventures!

    ReplyDelete