Home is where your heart is

Home is where your heart is

Saturday, September 8, 2012

Glen's first day of school

Glen's "excited for school" dance
 Glen has wanted to go to school for over a year now.  It was the only thing that got him potty trained.  He just didn't want to do it, wearing diapers was convenient for him and he didn't mind, but when I told him he couldn't go to school unless he was potty trained he did it.  That very day he decided he was going to be potty trained and there was no looking back.  It still took a few weeks, but potty training is so much easier when the kids actually want to do it.  Anyway, since I had promised him he could go we signed him up for pre-school.  I've had some people give me grief over this decision, because once you have kids it's the whole worlds job to tell you how to parent, right?  :)  But all that put aside we decided it was good for Glen to go.  We knew he likely would not learn much academically, but he needs friends.  He is such a social child.  Benjamin is content to play on his own, but Glen NEEDS playmates, so we sent him for friends.  But we also sent him so he could learn important skills like working with a group, following instructions from other adults, and all that fun stuff that kids secretly learn in school.
We met Glen's teachers on Wednesday, and his first day was on Thursday.  Embarrassingly I had been told the wrong time and so I picked Glen up 1/2 hour late Thursday.  Can I please have my parent of the year award now?  I was early on Friday and Glen was so mad that he did not get to stay late again like he did his first day and told me he "would appreciate it" if I would not pick him up so early next time. Hehe  He is having so much fun, making a lot of friends, and he loves his teachers.  There were no tears on either side, I had mourned earlier.  :)  Besides, how could I be sad seeing how excited he was and how much fun he was having?  Benjamin is sad he doesn't get to go to school.  We are working on making it a special time for him to have Glen in school, just you and me time.  And next year it will be Benjamin's turn, and I will have just you and me time with this new little one.  Sometimes I feel sad seeing them grow up so fast, it makes me want to sry, but most of the time I am too busy being proud and amazed to feel sad.


No comments:

Post a Comment