Home is where your heart is

Home is where your heart is

Thursday, August 9, 2012

Bucket list

I Was listening to day to a song called "If I only had today" by Hilary Weeks.  It got me thinking about bucket lists, you know the list some people make of things they want to do before they die?  I was thinking, "What would be on my bucket list?"  If I found out I only had a little while to live, what would I do?  I wouldn't go sky diving, or climb a mountain, I wouldn't go bungee jumping off some big bridge.  If I only had a week to live I would...Take my kids to the library for hours and read them EVERY book they brought me.  I would sing songs until my throat hurt then keep singing.  I would have my kids sleep in bed with us so I could cuddle with everyone, but I wouldn't sleep, I would stay awake watching them and thinking how much I love them.  I would wrestle, even if I got hurt.  I would hold hands more, jump in mud puddles, pay attention to the ants and bug.  I'd stop saying "Just a second" and do it now.  I would write a letter to everyone in my family telling them how much I love them and reminding them we have eternity together.  I would cherish every memory, every smile, every hug.  I would cuddle more, and be patient.
I try so hard to live every day like this, but it's hard sometimes to remember.  I listen to the song every day if I can, to help remind me how precious time is.  Even if I have 60 more years to live my kids won't be little forever, this phase is going to fly by.  I want to hold on.  I wish I could hold onto every sweet memory we make together.  
This is probably not the best time for such sentimental thoughts. Every time I hear that song I cry.  I want to just go hug my husband and kids.  And even though it scares me, thinking it might end, I am grateful for the reminder to make every minute count.  To make sure my family knows how much I love and cherish them.  To take the time for what is really important.  I want to live my bucket list every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment