Home is where your heart is

Home is where your heart is

Thursday, March 3, 2011

A Remarkable Woman

Emma Smith, what a remarkable woman. She has become my hero. I used to bemoan my fate, John works late house and has a lot of homework so I don't get to see him often...well, mostly just that. But Emma Smith, here is a woman who's husband was Prophet of the restored church, that calling right there took him away a lot. Then there were the months he spent in jail. And early on he was martyred. Much of her life as a mother was spent without her husband. She had to take care of everything.
As I have tried to emulate this wonderful woman I have found more joy in my life. I always say life is all in your attitude. I had a pretty good attitude about life. I have always felt so blessed by the Lord. But now in addition to feeling blessed I feel less stress. I feel less depressed when John is gone. I am able to keep up on house work, spend time with the kids, go to church activities alone when I need to, and then enjoy John's company when he is here. I guess the biggest difference is not that John is home more, if anything he has been gone more lately, but I feel better able to hold down the fort here at home. I have it easy, I get to see my husband every night, I have two sweet angles that are well behaved and loving, a warm home, an a testimony. I suppose I can finally say I have reached my goal to "Find joy in being diligent and create a home where faith can find a firm footing."
I think in the end it all boils down to selfish, or selfless. Before I didn't do something because I was tired or didn't feel well, or maybe I wanted to read or play a game. Now I do it because it needs to be done, and it makes my family happier. Being a wife and mother is all about service. every part of my day, everything I do is a service to my family, and to others. I am grateful for this change in my life, so very grateful. It is times like this when I think, "this is what motherhood should be like."

1 comment:

  1. Thank you, Ruth. I love this post. I have looked up to Emma Smith as well. I'm proud of you and what you're doing for your family. Great job!

    ReplyDelete