Home is where your heart is

Home is where your heart is

Saturday, May 8, 2010

Race for the cure

To day I completed my first 5K. I was so excited about this one because of the cause. All proceeds from this race went to research in the hop[es of finding a cure for breast cancer. It was so moving so see all of the people out there in support of this race and cause. I was teary eyed as all of the survivors, including Glenna whom we raced for, paraded around the fountain and lined up for a picture. And there we so many who entered the race. The estimate was around 20,000.
I took the boys in the stroller and we walked this time, but I hope to run my next 5K. I will try to do another one at the end of the summer. I am grateful for the opportunity I had to take part in this race. I wish I had my camera so I could have gotten a picture. I was also very happy to see my mother in law waiting at the finish line to show her support for me with a sign and balloon for Glen, oh ya, and the "victory grapes."
A few facts about breast cancer;
  • Although rare, men can get and even die from the breast cancer.
  • 192,370 U.S. women were diagnosed with breast cancer in 2009.
  • Studies show older women have a higher risk of breast cancer, as well as those with a family history of cancer, excessive drinkers and those who are overweight.
  • More than 2.5 million breast cancer survivors live in the US.
Imagine a world without breast cancer.

No comments:

Post a Comment