Home is where your heart is

Home is where your heart is

Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Nauvoo vacation...finally!

 Last month we went to Nauvoo.  I have always wanted to go there and we took the opportunity to meet some friends there and spend a weekend with them.  It was my friend Ashley's birthday.  She and I are so close we are like sisters. I often call her my sister, she is my sister of the heart.
 We all had so much fun.  Glen, my little zoologist, loved all of the animals he saw; deer, raccoons, snakes, we even caught frogs and crickets.  The house we stayed at was right by the temple and also right across from a school so the boys spent a lot of time playing on the playground when we were not out and about.
 This is Carthage Jail where the prophet Joseph Smith was martyred. That hole next to me is believed to be from the bullet that killed his brother Hyrum.  I have wanted to go to Carthage so much because I heard what a powerful spiritual experience it is.  People have said as soon as they walk in they are overcome and moved to tears.  I expected that, and at first I was really disappointed that I didn't feel much.  As I sat there pondering I realized that I felt the Spirit, I felt a sacredness to the place, but it wasn't powerful.  That's OK though, because I realized as I sat there that my whole life has been like that.  I have never had a huge powerful experience, it is a lifetime of small, simple witnesses that have given my a strong testimony.  Small, but also very sweet and sacred.  I am grateful that John took Elizabeth out for a few minutes so that I could have that sweet moment and comforting realization.
 Abigail got some serious lovins from all the people who had been waiting to meet her.  :)
 This is also at Carthage.  Elizabeth had been held the whole time and wanted to get down and run. When we left the jail I put her down and she immediately ran back to the statue of Joseph and Hyrum and hugged their legs.  That nearly brought me to tears because I have such a tender love for Joseph and Hyrum, I wanted to hug them too.

 We walked down Parley street just like the saints when they lined up all their wagons and crossed the Mississippi river.
 HAHAHA, this had me laughing so hard!  Elizabeth kept dropping her doll so I put it in the baby wrap and it looked like John had the wrap just for the doll.

 The boys wanted to throw rocks into the Mississippi river, that was their biggest desire for this vacation.  Mine was Carthage.


I loved going to the temple with my friends and husband, I loved the sweet sacred feeling at Carthage, and I loved the printing store! That was so fun, so many words and old phrases explained. Big letters were kept in the *upper case*, and little letters were kept in the *lower case*!  <3 p="">I wanted to share an experience we had at one of the pageants.  Jennifer had taken the other kids home to be with John so it was just Glen and I.  Walking in we were met by protesters, one of which was very loud and rude.  He scared Glen.  On the way out I was afraid too, afraid for my tender hearted little boy who was so hurt and afraid of the man saying mean things about us and about our Heavenly Father.  I told him we would pray for them to feel God's love and then we would sing as we walked past so we didn't have to hear him yelling at us.  I picked him up and I sang at the top of my very unsteady voice.  I was too afraid to sing well or long and as my voice gave out I saw a couple of Elders walking past.  I begged them to sing with me and they walked with us and sang "The Spirit of God," so loudly and beautifully.  Right before we got to the protesters the man yelling suddenly stopped.  He didn't start up again until we were past him and into the parking lot.  I know the Lord answered our prayer by sending the missionaries to sing with us and because the man stop yelling as we walked past.  I am grateful for the opportunity to talk about protesters with Glen, to explain to him that they do not hate us, they are trying to be missionaries, but they are not very nice about it.  I am also grateful for the opportunity to be there for my son when he needed me.

No comments:

Post a Comment