Home is where your heart is

Home is where your heart is

Saturday, June 15, 2013

Rant against officials and professionals



http://www.ksl.com/?sid=25601811&nid=148&title=parker-jensen-cancer-free-10-years-later&fm=home_page&s_cid=queue-1
After reading this story I started doing a little more research into it.  It is so messed up, what the state and Dr. did.  I don't think the parents were being negligent, with no history of abuse or neglect, who did they think they were to make such a claim against the parents.

This bugs me, not because of the parents, but because of 

the Dr. and state officials who think they know best. With

 the experience I had with Elizabeth during her stay and at 

her birth, I'm very bugged.

I had a written document saying that Elizabeth was to stay 

with me at all times unless I asked for her to be taken to 

the nursery and that I was to be there for ANY procedure.

 None of the nurses paid attention to that and she was

 taken for shots, immunizations, and blood draws without

 my permission (Which I would have given, but I wanted to

 be there) and even without my knowledge. Then when she

 had RSV the Dr. insisted she have a spinal tap done and

 even though I said I didn't want it done on her they bullied


me into saying yes because she might die within days

without one, and

 what were the results, nothing was wrong, just like I 

thought.

Really, some parents actually do know best and our 


opinions 


and rights aught to matter more and carry more weight.



I'd like to hear your thoughts, do you think that Dr.s and state officials should get there way

 because there "might" be something wrong, or there might be consequences?  Or do you 

think 

parents should have the last say even if they may be putting their child at risk, do parents know 

best?






2 comments:



  1. I do believe in parental instinct, but I didn't go to medical school. I think that in a lot of cases, my opinion shouldn't carry as much weight as someone who has spent years dealing with patients, and can easily recognize things that I can't. For example, I know how my car drives and handles better than my auto mechanic does, but that doesn't mean I'm educated sufficiently to make the best decisions when it comes to car repairs. I just don't know the inner workings of cars as well as a trained, experienced mechanic.

    There have been times, with all three of my kids, when a doctor recommended something that I felt was unnecessary. It's usually something small, and I end up being right. On the other hand, there was that time when a doctor recommended we take Peter to the hospital for his asthma, and even went so far as to call the hospital and admit us in advance, even though I didn't want to go, and I was 100% dead certain that Peter didn't have asthma. He's my child, after all. I know him better than some old doctor. My 'parental instinct' told me he was fine, just a little sick, but nothing we hadn't seen a million times before. Turns out, the doctor knew what he was talking about because he has seen it dozens of times and knew the signs. I didn't fully understand asthma, even though I thought I did. And it ended up being a good thing that the doctor made us go, for multiple reasons.

    Ultimately, I believe the parent needs to be the one to make the final decision for their child. Doctors need to be sensitive to that. And there are occasional instances where the parent ends up being right. But I can't blame a doctor who tries his darnedest to talk a stubborn parent out of an uneducated decision that would ultimately not be best for the child. By and large, I think a lot of parents would be wise to get off their high horse and be open to the advice of someone who has years of training and experience.

    Aaand, those are my thoughts. Sorry for the rant :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, I asked for it right? I wanted a discussion here. I agree, but I also think that some Dr. think that because the have PhD they know everything. I had a Dr. tell me to give Benjamin a certain formula and found out later it was milk based, but of course soy formula is only for kids with REALLY bad milk allergies...like my kid who almost went in to aniphalatic shock, right? I guess I just have to take my own advice and follow the spirit after getting all the information I can from every side.
    Thank you for being willing to share your thoughts and feelings!

    ReplyDelete