Home is where your heart is

Home is where your heart is

Friday, February 21, 2014

Storms of life

Two of my favorite sayings are "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain." and "Sometimes the Lord quiets the storm to calm the child and sometimes He calms the child and lets the storm rage on."
Yesterday during family scriptures we read about the brother of Jared and his family as the built boats and got ready to go to the promised land.  If you remember the Lord told them to build the boats in such a way that they were water-proof, "Tight like unto a dish."  The reason for this is that when they got going the Lord steered them towards the promised land using a continuous, strong wind. (See Ether 6:5 and 8)
I have read this story more times then I can count, but for some reason it really struck home to me yesterday.  Perhaps it because I feel like the past few months everything imaginable has hit me, my husband is gone, I was really sick for a long time, sick kids, I got sick again, 10 weeks turned into "I don't know when I can come home, dear." and at times I have felt like it was more then I could handle.  In the scriptures there is wind, a lot of it, "Furious wind," but the important part is that that wind was continually getting them closer to this great place the Lord had in mind for them.
We stopped at that point to talk about it.  Wind usually means a storm.  Storms usually represent something bad is about to happen or is happening.  So maybe the Lord uses hard times to propel us to where He wants us to go.  Was it hard for them to be stuck in those boats being pushed around by the wind and the waves?  I bet it was super tough and at time they thought they couldn't take much more.  But what was at the end?  They reached the promised land.  A beautiful, fruitful place where they would be safe and happy.
Sometimes the storms of life are tough, sometimes I feel like they are more then I can handle, but now I can remember that the Lord is using them to help me get where He wants me to be and that place is better then where I am now.  It is a place where I will be safe and happy and closer to him.  I can also remember that the wind helps trees to become stronger, and this storm will help me to become stronger as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment